Monday, November 17, 2008

Week 4, ice and fog and wind, oh my!!!


Well week 4 started out to be a week from hell but it all turned out pretty well.

I didn't get dispatched until 2 PM Monday which sucks as your day is half done by that time. No matter I needed to get to Calgary as quick as possible to catch my load south.

My first hint of a crappy week was falling out of my truck again. Yes....shut up. I was putting my gear in the passenger side and missed the handle to get down....so down I went and racked my ribs on the fuel tank steps of the unit beside me.

My next hint was that at my first scale it was determined by the DOT that I had a flat on my drives....great....I just did a pre trip...whatev, lost 2 hours getting that fixed.

I have always been able to drive in what ever conditions I have been presented with but I was truly challenged this week. Between Delta and Calgary the conditions were poor at best. The slush and black ice coupled with the fog so thick it left you disoriented was quite a challenge. The fog made you want to stop and reach out to see if you could actually touch something.

Anyway made it to Calgary, hook my load for Lethbridge then off to Denver. Pretty uneventful. Until I left Denver enroute to Salt Lake City. The cross winds were so strong I almost went over. Being high profile and empty made it a bit hazardous. If fact there were three semi that went over on there sides.

I guess I can drive in what ever but the wind....you cannot protect yourself against when empty.

So the rest of the week was not bad, grabbed a load in Salt Lake, drove past a potato museum in Idaho, who would have thought, and ran up to Calgary. Dropped my trailer, grabbed a Delta load and home I went.

All in all pretty productive. 7 days out 3700 miles completed.

Will try and get some pics up today.

Later

3 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

A lot of the trailers here in the uk are double deckers up to about 15' 11" carrying 52 skids, so are prone to rolling over at speed on corners and of course when it's windy, but I would still rather have wind than fog.
Drive safe.
Mick.

Al said...

Hey Mick, yeah I am sure they are a challenge. With the fog I can slow down and manage...but the wind....man I was nervous. When are you folks coming over.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Hi Al, we are over on the 3rd of December, details on Cath's blog (click name)hope to meet up at some point.

Mick