Friday, April 2, 2010

How it began, is how it ended with H and R


As the title reads....I started with H and R with my truck in the shop and that is the way I ended...in a shop. What happened in the middle of all that however was pretty decent.
If any readers are looking for the dirt on H and R you won't find any in this blog entry. I can honestly say that during my time with them it was a pretty good ride.


There were the odd bumps here and there as there are with any job. Once you realize that they are a business and only owe you what you earn life becomes easy. What I mean is that I worked hard, did what I was told, operated safely and efficiently and in return the owed me their best.

I got it; from Cathy T and the administrative group my transition in and out was flawless. Payroll and HOS folks where helpful in many instances and when need educated me as to what I needed to do to keep pay straight and run legal.

The on road repair system that I experienced....often....was second to none. I had a truck leased from Penske and the SOS response was outstanding.

Finally the Operations team. I began with Andy who is a task master. He takes individuals on to a fleet and at times seems short. This is his job....think of him as a Sergent Major of sorts.
I then moved to Fleet 2, then 4 and finally back to 2. This occurred primarily as I had requested changes in my running areas and frequency of runs.

One constant was my planner Gerry G. Can't say enough about him. When I need to shorten my run he took me in to a scheduled, shorter run to allow more home time. When this was not quite what I needed he took me over to a shorter more frequent run to accommodate my and my families needs. He is a solid go to guy and has a decent heart.

My dispatch team of Wayne, Kevin, Noelle, Shane and the rest of the night crew where always helpful be it issues or questions on how to perform a certain task. Finally, the individual I had most contact with was Sherrie B.

Sherrie is an outstanding Dispatcher and Manager. Even though she manages a large number of trucks and drivers she always makes time to see that you are taken care of. If you need, she will do her best to escalate as required. She takes the time to get to know you as a driver and person so she can understand your pressure points. If you are fortunate you will get on her fleet.

This seems to be like a Thank You note. In a way it is, I have no complaints about H and R but understand this. Everything you get, you earn, I was treated very well and worked my ass of for them.

If you are coming from overseas or a national looking for work make no mistake this company is not like all others. You get what you earn, not what you feel you deserve. For my readers overseas do your homework, you are making a life decision, don't believe all blogs, not even this one (although you can rest assured I have nothing to gain if you come to HR). I call it as I sees it.

So I have moved on to another firm. I will update you in my next entry.

Good luck,

Later



5 comments:

Chris Lunnon said...

Good luck in the new job and i look forward to reading about it it the next entry.

Al said...

Thanks Chris, Cheers. Al

Mark said...

Best of luck Al, enjoy the next chapter in your travels.

Al said...

Thanks Mark. Just checked your blog, are you able to say who you have interviewed with so far. I have just moved from HR to Bison for scheduling reasons. Most people I have spoken too seem to enjoy it here....time will tell.

good luck..al

jag said...

good luck al,take care